Saturday, November 2, 2013

I did these illustrations to accompany Amelia's write up of the one man performance Mental by the artist and activist The Vacuum Cleaner.


the reason for the duvet is because the performance was performed under a giant duvet
(of course), addressing issues of the artist's experiences of  mental health issues, and being documented as such by both the medical and legal powers. I looked into the Vaccum Cleaner a bit to make sure I portrayed him accurately, and as ever with issues of depression and similar I am bowled over by the courage of people who face these problems and also manage to articulate them in ways that are engaging and evocative. It's the action of baring your soul and being able to laugh at it a little, and I'm much more able to get down with personal politics than ideological. 



No comments:

Post a Comment